No, really, I am not making it up. This is the best, even better than the one I posted a long time ago which is also very good on the bestest-scale.
This one is also super simple. Three-out-of-four Vegan Alchemists in the City of London enjoy this one, the one that doesn’t has been captured by trolls.
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup tamari (or Nama Shoyu or other quality unpasteurized soy sauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Your Hufflepuff wand is not required for this one.
- Stir the nutritional year and flour in a heavy skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 10 minutes or until tender and beginning to turn brown.
- Add the garlic, thyme and sage for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour mixture thoroughly and then whisk in the water, tamari, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently and continue to simmer until the racy is thick and creamy. You can strain the gravy if you like or toss it in the blender for a minute or so, to get it smooth. (However, it tastes great even without straining!).
The gravy will keep for 2 – 3 days, covered and refrigerated.
This gravy is so good all manner of fantastic beasts and wizards are likely to be looking through your window pane (even if you are on the TENTH floor) asking for the recipe.
I originally found the recipe on a website I cannot for the life of me remember.